September Theme: The Future of Publishing ... or ... Didn’t I Already Answer That?



Three and a half years ago when my first book, The Gollywhopper Games debuted, I answered the following on the Class of 2k8 blog:

2k8: Imagine you have an offer from your dream press to publish your dream book, no matter how insane or unmarketable it might be (though of course it might not be). What story do you want to write next/someday and why?

JF: I don’t think my idea is insane. I don’t think it’s unmarketable. I do believe it’s too expensive. I would love to write a truly interactive book – a sit-down or lie-in-bed book with paper pages – that has mini computer screens embedded throughout so readers can actually play along with any type of games or puzzles I may choose to incorporate into future stories. Just imagine what else you could do with that combination of comfort and technology. (March 2008)

The Kindle had been out for three months when I wrote my response, and the reviews were mixed. There was a lot of ... Great idea, Amazon! But how many people actually want to cuddle up to a rectangle of plastic, metal, and glass? Turns out, millions. Turns out later generations of ereaders have interactive capabilities. Turns out my idea – minus the paper part – was well in the works.

So I can sit here with the crystal ball of my imagination and make up other stuff I’d love to see happen and I can otherwise speculate on the future of publishing in any of its Nooks and crannies, but truly? As much as I was nearly right 3 1/2 years ago, I’d rather just write.

–Jody Feldman www.jodyfeldman.com

Comments