Luck? (The March Theme from Jody Feldman)


The time my name was pulled from among every kid in the studio audience to be a First Mate (therefore, win a prize) on Cookie and the Captain, that was luck. The times my name was pulled to win a newspaper subscription, a photo shoot, and a voice-activated tape recorder – pretty much the only things I’ve ever won – that was luck.

This is Cookie, not me.


But this month we’re writing about luck in our writing careers.
And honestly? I’ve got nothing.

*Was it luck that the sessions I happened to choose at one SCBWI national conference made me realize I should concentrate on writing middle grade rather than YA?
*Was it luck that at that LA conference I first talked to the woman who soon became my agent?
*Was it luck said agent took me on despite the fact my first book, The Gollywhopper Games had already made the rounds of most publishers?
*Was it luck she sent my book to the right editor at the right time?
*Was it luck that I’m in a position to sit here and write this blog today?

If I thought I had that much luck, I might be basking on a beach chair, sipping umbrella drinks thanks to the multiple lotteries I’d won.

“Are you that cynical?” you ask. “Don’t you believe in luck?”

Sure I do. But more than luck, I believe in laying the groundwork to make the magic happen.

Comments

  1. How about a combination of the two. You were lucky the woman who would become your agent attended that conference too, but smart and well-prepared to go to the conference in the first place and initiate a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe in the power of serendipity. Really, truly. And the combo of luck and working it? Often unstoppable!

      Delete
  2. Great blog post - I've always liked the thought that we make our own luck! I found your blog via the O.W.L.- it's awesome to follow another blog focused on MG Lit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much ditto what I replied to Kate below.

      As for luck, I used to believe in it much more than I do now. I'm happier now, though, trying to make my own.

      Delete
  3. Just a little note to let you know that I'm your newest follower and I love your blog! I'm a big MG fan, and its really fun to see you authors banding together :)

    -Kate the Book Buff
    Recent Post: Kate's Mailbox Adventure, or, How My Heart Was Stomped on by a Video Game

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you found us, Kate! And sorry for my tardy reply. I'm in first draft mode and have pretty much neglected everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment